Resilience and Positive Psychology - Creating Health Through Happiness
10th April 2021
We are currently seeing unprecedented levels of psychological distress in most, if not all our patients / clients.
We practitioners can help!
COVID and its associated isolation, financial strain, fear, exhaustion, burnout and more is wrecking mental and emotional health and there’s no real, meaningful support coming to those who need who really need it. In fact, The Times here in the UK recently reported that most of us are suffering from ‘low grade depression’ and as we know, for many people it is so much more severe, and we have seen a dramatic increase in suicidal thoughts/ideation and, sadly, action.
We practitioners are allowed to continue to work to support those with mental/emotional health issues - thanks largely to the outstanding work of The Complementary Medical Association in liaising with the UK Government and those around the world - and those governments are now thankfully, coming to a realisation of just how important our holistic health services are to the wellbeing of our nations.
By offering this training to complementary medical practitioners, we know that we are equipping you to be able to offer proven resilience, positive psychology, and happiness strategies to your clients.
Everything you’ll learn in this training is fully referenced and supported by robust research from the world’s leading positive psychology, resilience, mind/body medicine and happiness research centres, including Harvard Medical School, UC Berkley, Yale, Emory Medical School to name but a few.
Topics included in this training:
Positive Psychology, Resilience, Loving Kindness, Purpose / Ikigai, Self Awareness, Self Care, Mindfulness and Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), Relationships, Neuroplasticity and the Neurobiology of Happiness.
There are two levels available to you when taking this course:
- Certification Level – This level is suitable for all qualified complementary medical / natural therapy practitioners. You take the course on the day and undertake the recommended reading and other enrichment activities. This track leads to CMA CPD and provides you with sufficient information to be able to support your patients / clients with a vitally important set of new skills – and a full understanding of the research supporting these skills. It will also equip you to be able to give talks and presentations in various settings (see below - What can you do with this training).
- Licentiate Level – This our “Train The Trainer” level, and it is geared towards qualified practitioners who are already teaching – or who want to start teaching. To gain your Licence to teach this course you will take the course on the day and undertake the reading and other enrichment activities. NOTE: at this level, these are mandatory and not simply ‘recommended’. You will then be required to participate in two separate coaching and assessment hours with Jayney Goddard which – upon passing - will equip you to be able to use the material to train your students. As with the Certification Level, you will also be equipped to go out and give talks in a variety of settings.
- Important: Think of the Licentiate Level as a complete "course in a box" that fully equips you to teach the material to your own students – so that once they have graduated from your course, they will be able to use Resilience and Positive Psychology techniques within their own practices to help their own patients / clients. As this is a professional course, your students must already have a qualification in complementary medicine (or allied professions), or must be working towards that.
- However: If your students wish to become trainers in their own right, they will need to do the full day CMA training and the additional two hours of coaching and assessment with Jayney Goddard.
- No need to reinvent the wheel: We have done all the work for you – you just take what we teach you and present it ‘as is’. You don’t need to change anything. In fact, you mustn’t change anything as we cannot certify a course – or provide a License, if the material has been altered in any way.
Note: In order to ensure that standards are maintained, it will be necessary for everyone on the Licentiate Level to renew their license yearly by undertaking two hours mentoring and assessment with Jayney Goddard.
Date: 10th April 2021
Time: 10am - 5.30pm UK time
Course Delivery: Currently Online (during lockdown). You will receive the Zoom link to the course as soon as you sign up for the training. Make a note of it.
Tip: We suggest that you join the session about ¼ hour before it is due to begin to make sure that you are set up properly. Once you are on the call you will be able to grab a drink and get comfortable.
Breaks: There will be plenty of breaks throughout the day so that you can be comfortable throughout. Our aim is to make this an enriching and enjoyable experience for you - we all learn better that way!
Note: If you opt for the Certification CPD Level, all teaching is completed on the day of the course. If, however, you wish to gain the Licentiate Level, which enables you to teach this material to your students then you will need to attend a further two hours mentoring and assessment. We recommend that the two hours are split approximately one week apart and we suggest that you book them with your lecturer as soon as you can after the course day so that the material is still fresh in your mind.
Course Fee Information
We have two sets of fees, as there is a highly preferential rate for CMA Members - as part of our Membership Benefits Package.
CMA Members' Fees
- £97 CMA Members Certification Level – leading to Certification and CMA CPD
- £297 CMA Members “Train The Trainer” Licentiate Level. (This Level includes an additional 2 hours of one-to-one mentoring and assessment with Jayney Goddard). This license allows you to deliver this training to your own students so that they, in turn, can deliver this work to their clients – once your student has graduated. The course materials must be used as provided and must not be re-branded or in any other way changed, duplicated or altered. Any students/graduates who may wish to then take this work out to train their students must also attend the CMA training and the one-to-one sessions in order to gain the training license.
- £197 Non-CMA Members Certification Level - leading to Certification and CMA Accredited CPD - recognised by most awarding bodies - do check with your own body if you are not a CMA Member.
- £397 Non-CMA Members “Train The Trainer” Licentiate Level (see above for details - these are as for the CMA Members' Train The Trainer Licence Track).
Payment Plan: Both The CMA Members and Non-Members Licentiate tracks have payment plans to make budgeting easier. This splits the fees over three months.
In order to maintain standards - and equip you with emerging new research in this fascinating field, we require you to renew your license yearly. You will need to book two hours mentoring and assessment one year after you first graduate at a fee of £200 in total.
Get started now!
Who is this training for?
In order to qualify to take this course, you MUST be a qualified complementary medical practitioner / holistic therapist.
We will also consider applications from people who work in other caring professions – such as nursing, conventional medicine etc. and you will need to be interviewed before we can offer you a place on the course. We are also open to applications from educators, such as school and college teachers / lecturers, as you are in a position to help so many students.
(Please note that teachers / lecturers in conventional schooling setting may wish to sign up for Adolescent/Teen-specific training in April where we introduce a special add-on track for working with adolescents and teenagers.)
What can you do with this training?
In a nutshell . . . LOTS!
Here are just a few ideas:
- On both the Certification and Licentiate Levels you will be fully equipped after the course to deliver talks on the fascinating topics we cover in the course to a variety of audiences.
- If you are already teaching, you could add this training into your existing courses – it is a fantastic adjunct to all complementary medical disciplines.
- If you are in practice and would like to begin offering courses, then this is a truly wonderful way to get started! You’ll have everything you need!
- Think about where you could deliver this training – it genuinely opens up the most amazing avenues that you might not yet have considered!
- You can of course use the work with your clients – and it will also help you to build your practice as you will have another therapeutic string to your bow!
- It will also open new doors for you! Think about taking this work into new environments - workplaces and corporate environments.
- Giving talks in for GP surgeries – for the doctors and staff – all of whom are incredibly stressed at this time.
- What about taking the work into hospitals – all the staff there are harassed and under enormous pressure – doctors, nurses, healthcare assistants and more.
- Schools – teaching staff and support staff are really under so much strain - more so now than ever – they would really benefit from this information.
- In fact – think of literally ANY environment where people are stressed, harassed and would benefit from self-care, compassion, loving kindness, happiness and resilience training – that’s pretty much everyone!
- All the information on the course can be delivered online or face-to-face - so this really broadens your horizons post-lockdown - and future-proofs your work should further lockdowns be ordered.
NOTE – really important . . . consider how getting into these environments and giving talks on these topics will open doors for your existing practice! You’ll be able to educate about your core services too!
Which professional body certifies this course and why was it created?
This course has been created by The Complementary Medical Association. Established in 1993, The CMA is the world's leading, and best respected professional membership association for qualified Complementary Medical Practitioners, Fellows (senior, highly experienced members of the profession), Students, Training Schools/Colleges, Clinics/Spas/Retreats/ CMA Approved Suppliers and other Associations.
The CMA is active globally and we welcome Membership applications from anywhere in the world. We are a non-profit organisation and believe in equal opportunities for all - we will never discriminate against anyone, for any reason. CMA Members in all categories have a demonstrable commitment to professionalism and excellence, adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and carry full insurance. Learn more about The CMA here
Why this course and why now?
We have recognised the genuine need for this training – more so now than ever.
We realise that our Members and other professional practitioners are right at the forefront of looking after vulnerable people who are genuinely struggling at this, one of the most challenging times in history.
Due to the sterling work The CMA has done right from the very beginning of lockdown, the UK government has acknowledged that The CMA has interpreted the legislation and government guidance correctly and as a result, allowed complementary medical practitioners to return to work (more details on The CMA website).
We know that complementary medicine plays a hugely important role in the health of the nation and we know that by adding in this extra dimension to practitioners’ work, it could genuinely make a very real difference as to whether our clients sink or swim – but we want more than that!
We want people to actually thrive – despite the hardships we are all going through right now. This work can help ensure that – and by doing this course you will be one of the pioneers that will lead the way in making a genuine, meaningful change to the health and wellbeing of the nation, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually!
Jayney Goddard is President of The Complementary Medical Association. She founded The CMA in 1993 in response to the lack of standards in the field and has since been dedicated to raising the profile of ethical, professional complementary medicine world-wide.
Jayney is qualified in several disciplines, including homeopathy, hypno-analysis and NLP, reiki, and is a Zen meditation teacher. Most recently, she undertook the Mind/Body Medicine course at Harvard Medical School, headed by Dr Herbert Benson, of the Benson Henry Institute at Harvard.
She is dedicated to helping practitioners to be highly successful - doing the work they love. So much so, that her MSc Research and Dissertation was titled "Thriving in Practice, Practicing to Thrive", and she analysed those factors that lead to some practitioners being outstandingly successful, while other struggle. She intends to build on this topic in her Doctorate.
Jayney is the recipient of the CAMexpo Award for "Outstanding Contribution to Complementary Medicine" and was awarded the title "International Honorary Advisor in Ayurveda and Naturopathy" by the Kingdom of Nepal. She has advised governments worldwide on setting standards in complementary and integrative medicine, including the USA's Whitehouse Commission for Complementary and Integrative Medicine.
Jayney has written four bestselling books - most recently "Rewind Your Body Clock; The Complete Natural Guide to a Happier, Healthier, Younger You" for Watkins / Penguin. The book went into the Amazon charts at the number one spot of ALL books on Amazon and it sold out within two hours. It is now available in all formats worldwide.
Fellow, The CMA;
Fellow, Royal Society of Medicine;
Fellow, Royal Society for Public Health;
Honorary Advisor, Health Food Manufacturers Association.
Jayney served on the Working Parties that set the National Occupational Standards in Complementary Medicine (NOS) and she is keen to promote the evidence base for this sector - so that the field is accorded the professional respect and esteem it is due.
Frequently Asked Questions
Terms and conditions
The CMA asserts it's legal rights over all course material in all jurisdictions.
All terms and conditions are intended to ensure that the course material is used appropriately and in such a manner that the material maintains its levels of excellence. It protects the IP of The CMA - and ensures that our course material is used correctly.
All course material is property of and copyright to The Complementary Medical Association.
The CMA logo and word mark is a Registered Trademark and is the property of The Complementary Medical Association. It may only be used with express written permission. It is illegal to use or reproduce a Registered Trademark.
No course material may be altered, amended or rebranded in any way.
If any of the material requires updates or alteration for any reason (e.g. the emergence of new research), The CMA will provide these in a timely fashion.
Only Licentiate Level attendees may teach this material to their own students in a course format.
Certificate and Licentiate Level attendees may use the material to give talks / lectures - on the understanding that these are not in any way offered as a course - or for any commercial gain. If attendees at either level are offered the opportunity of giving a paid talk and wish to use any of the course material at all it will be necessary to contact The CMA to gain written permission.
Applying to take this course implies full acceptance of these terms and conditions.